After a brief (month-long) Blog hiatus I have decided that it’s time to get back in the groove. And what could be a better topic to start the new year off with than… BEETS!?! Okay, completely random, I know. This may (doubt it) or may NOT (likely) be one of the most riveting things you will read today. But there is a relevance to my journey here in France. It is here that I discovered my love of beets!
I had tried beets a couple times before, but I think they must have been canned beets. But I’m talking ’bout the real deal… the fresh raw beet. These ones don’t taste like dirt, I promise. In Versailles we have a very well known year-around Farmers Market, it is a MUST SEE if you are visiting Versailles, France. At the Place du Marché Notre Dame you will find all kinds of healthy fresh fruits and veggies as well as flowers, spices, cheeses, meats and other vendors. It is located at the cross streets of Rue de la Paroisse and Rue du Maréchal Foch. If you are visiting you can probably ask any local and they will be able to direct you to the Market. The Market is open Tuesday, Friday and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. you will find what L and I refer to as the “Stuff Market.” You will find reasonably priced clothes, shoes, jewelry and household items.
Back to the Beets! After having some for breakfast I said to myself, “Self, why do beets make you feel so fantastic?” So I did some highly reliable research, I Googled it . Turns out beets are a pretty fantastic little root vegetable. According to Wikipedia, people thought beet was pretty impressive all the way back to the 8th Century BC in Babylonia, but then the beets cousin, spinach, came along and stole all the beets glory, not cool spinach, not cool at all. Here is a summary of some of the other great things about beets;
- great source of vitamins A and C, iron, magnesium, calcium, fiber and phosperous. They’re a great immunity booster and guard against cancer
- an inexpensive, low-calorie food that can satisfy a sweet tooth while satisfying your hunger
- great source of instant energy due to high level of carbohydrates, a healthy alternative to processed foods that are also high in carbohydrates. Beets are a quick way to fuel body
- you can boil, steam roast or sauté them. I prefer chilled and raw.
- if you have a juicer and feel like getting yourself DRUNK without alcohol just drink a glass of beet juice. I have not tried this… YET! But let me tell you, I am excited to get that beet-buzz going one of these days. DISCLAIMER: Do not operate any heavy weight machines while under the influence of the beet
- they contain folic acid which is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells, and great for the prego ladies or those thinking of doing some baby making. Which brings me to another great aspect of beets… They have been called an APHRODISIAC!! Bow-chika-wow-wow!
- Annnnnnd… they are available year around!!!
You just can’t BEET that! So please give beets a chance. And do come back and leave a comment to let me know what you think of that little purple treasure!!!